University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Integrated Marine, Freshwater, and Atmospheric Research Laboratory (IMFARL)
The Integrated Marine, Freshwater and Atmospheric Research Laboratory will be an approximately 75,000 GSF facility. The facility will be located adjacent to the existing Great Lakes Research Facility (GLRF) along the shores of Lake Michigan to begin the new campus facilities for the School of Freshwater Sciences. The proposed facilities will support broad interdisciplinary research and enhanced capabilities in the following areas:
- Aquatic System Dynamics - integrative research on the fundamental physical, chemical, and biological processes governing ecosystem behavior along varied temporal, organizational and spatial scales, from high frequency molecular dynamics to decadal regional and global changes.
- Ecosystem & Environmental Health - science in support of the stewardship and management of freshwater resources - pollution and human and ecosystem health; drinking water supply, quality and security; and the sustainability of urban coastal systems and urban life.
- Integrated earth, atmosphere and marine sensing, observation, and exploration technologies - development of new observational technologies, models and sensors for the integrated, continuous, real time surveillance and exploration of the Great Lakes and coastal ecosystems in support of management, security, maritime commerce, and ecological understanding.
- Ecosystem Forecasting - development of new levels of conceptual and computationally sophisticated models for prediction of ecosystem response to ecological and climatic forcing functions, and for formulation of ecosystem management strategies for mitigation and adaption.
The lower suite of the building is designed as a biosafety level-3 (BSL-3) suite to handle pathogens of the lake's fish population studies.
Laboratory Planning: Facility Elements, LLC
- Gross Square Feet: 75,000
- Construction Cost: $28,000,000 est.
- Laboratory planning
- Building programming
- NIST / NOAA grant proposal
- Systems Criteria
- Biocontainment consulting